Implementation of Automotive Airbag Connectors for the SRS is Increasing as Safety Performance Improves
As the safety performance of automobiles improves, the number and variety of airbags used in a vehicle also increases. New and existing automotive airbag applications are supported in various places which include typical driver and passenger side airbags, curtain and thorax airbags throughout the vehicle, and newer applications such as knee airbags and pedestrian airbags that deploy externally to prevent injury to pedestrians. The trend for improved vehicle safety is expected to continue to increase over time.
JAE offers a wide range of airbag connectors that meet the safety requirements of automobiles. This page will define what a squib connector is and why it is widely used as an airbag connector.
What is a Squib Connector?
The MX72 squib connector offers the option to choose whether a short terminal is used or not. The AK2 type has a short terminal or shunt installed. Generally, the interface types AK3 do not have a short circuit terminal (no shunt).
Looking outwards, there is a trend towards the installation of products without short-circuit shunt terminals, and the JAE MX72 C/D shunt-less series is available as on option.
MX72 Series Application Examples
MX72 Series Self-Rejecting Squib Connector with CPA Functionality
MX72 Series connectors have the advantage of conveniently engaging connector position assurance with a single, spring enforced push, that easily confirms successful coupling through an audible click and tactile feedback. In addition, incomplete engagement is prevented by the reaction force of the spring in the connector. Should the MX72 squib connector not be properly seated, the spring pushes away plug from receptacle.
MX72 Series Squib Connectors
MX72A/MX72B Series | AK2 Squib Connector
- Compliant with ISO-19072-4, USCAR999-U-002-1-Z03
- Self-Rejecting CPA function
- Audible click and tactile feedback confirms successful mating
- Three types of color coded key codes
- FLRY A, B 0.35 sq, 0.5 sq, 0.75 sq* Wire compatible(*0.75sq will be developed)
MX72C/MX72D Series | Shuntless Squib Connector
- Compliant with ISO-19072-5, USCAR999-U-002-1-Z04
- Self-Rejecting CPA function
- Common design with MX72A/B connectors
- Short terminal or shunt is removed from the receptacle retainer
- Four types of color coded key codes
- FLRY B, Supports 0.35 sq and 0.5 sq wires
MX72F Series | Squib Connector with Ground Terminals
- Spring-based self-reject structure ensures complete mating and functions as a CPA
- Grounding connection by ground terminal is possible with no need for grounding connection at the inflator side
- Serviceable connection (insertion and removal possible) at any position of the cylindrical collar part
- Terminal probe holes enable quick signal check on the connector
- Two types of key codes (CODE IV, V) used to prevent incorrect mating
- Reliable and stable contacting portion with three-contact-point and gold plating
- Connector mating orientation can be identified by the flat surface of the cover